MY ITALIAN BREAKFAST

Italian Breakfast

What do Italians eat for breakfast? Do you have any idea? I guess most of you think Italians have a cappuccino or espresso (caffè) at a bar accompanied by a croissant (brioche)…am I right?
In Italy we are known for a quick coffee standing at the bar, chatting with others and reading the newspaper and enjoying (once again quick) a croissant. And of course there are Italians who have breakfast in this way. They don’t eat at home but on their way to work.
But not everyone. So if you ask me, it’s a misunderstanding to think that all Italians have breakfast at the bar. There are many Italians that have their breakfast at home. And I’m one of them! One reason is because I don’t want to spend between €1,90 (1 caffè + 1 brioche) and €2,30 (1 cappuccino + 1 brioche) every morning just for breakfast. The other reason… I have no time at all to go to the bar before going to work. It already takes 2 hours to get to work and that’s more than enough for me….don’t want to add extra time just to have breakfast outdoors…;)
So what do I eat during the week? I vary a bit to be honest. Sometimes I have a few rice wafers with marmalade or milk with cereals or biscuits. Lately I’m having yogurt with “superfoods”, as they are called. The superfoods have made their way to Italy as well and of course I’ve tried it out. I got cranberries, goji berries and raspberries and mixed that with yogurt. I added a bit of poppy seeds, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Very healthy and very yummy!!
Italian Breakfast
What you should know about Italian breakfast:

• Italians don’t think breakfast is the most important meal of the day. They think lunch is way more important!
  • Italians love a sweet breakfast instead of a savory one. So a brioche filled with either marmalade, cream of chocolate, biscuits or other little pastries for breakfast! I love it!!!
  • Italians that have their breakfast at the bar ever sit. They eat and drink standing! Let me call it a quick business… It could be that you will be charged more if you decide to sit anyway!
  • It’s very common to eat milk and biscuits for breakfast. That’s not drinking a cold glass of milk and eating biscuits like I would do, but that putting many biscuits in a big cup of warm milk and eat it with a spoon. I don’t like it…sorry. Oh and the supermarket has sooooooo many different types of biscuits just for breakfast! Amazing!!
  • Nutella is only eaten in the morning for breakfast if not used in some kind of a dessert. Nutella on bread or toast-type of crackers. Nutella is the best!! For those never heard of Nutella…you’ve been missing out on one of the best Italian products ever!!! Run to the store, buy it and try it!!!
  • Oh and just a tip… in Italy you drink a cappuccino before 11am!! After that cappuccino is a no-go… Just so you know ;)

How do you start your day? What is your favorite breakfast?

Italian Breakfast

About these ads

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Food

FOOD - HEALTH - TRAVEL

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

12 Comments on “MY ITALIAN BREAKFAST”

1. June 9, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

Love your yogurt with berries and seeds! I tend to eat organic cold cereal with almond milk for breakfast during the summer. Quick, good, and healthy. I add sliced almonds and blueberries.

2. June 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

My favorite breakfast of all when I am in Italy is the marmalade filled croissant! I have searched high and low here in the USA for such a treat, but have had no luck! I can already taste it – and in 2 weeks it will be mine!!!!! Gnam gnam….

• June 8, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Oh that’s too bad you can’t find them in the USA. But then it will taste even more delicious when you’ll have them in 2 weeks :D Where in Italy will you be going??

• June 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

Yes, that is true!!! Or I’d become a super success if I learned how to make them ;) hmm…if Inwas a baker, I’d be on to something! Even though, I think just being in Italy imparts a certain deliciousness that can’t be duplicated! We are coming to Italy for a wedding in Sesto Calende, with some of our vacation also spent in my Baveno, my town of Ispra, Alba, and Southern France! I can’t wait to see my beautiful lake!

• June 9, 2014 at 10:09 pm #

Sesto Calende? That’s just around the corner!! I live in Borgomanero :) Maybe we could meet for a coffee?? Beautiful trip by the way :)

• June 10, 2014 at 12:04 am #

Really? It’s that close? We are actually staying in Ispra and going to Sesto Calende for the wedding (an all day event I’m told!). I can’t promise anything, but if we can swing it, I would like to meet for coffee one of the days we are in Ispra. My mother has given me a list of people to see, but if there is a moment, it might work out. I’m only there for a very limited time :( I wish we could stay longer…

• June 10, 2014 at 9:15 am #

Yes it’s really close :) Don’t worry, I would totally understand if you can’t make it. But it would be fun though. If you give me your email I will give you my number. If you can make it you can give me a call, ok?

• June 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Sounds good! My email is: tesoromail@comcast.net.

3. June 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

Your breakfast looks great and is certainly healthier than the options at a bar. I think there is a misconception about what Americans eat…bacon and eggs are only an occasional meal. Most everyday it is tea, orange juice and a piece of fruit or a slice of buttered toast for my breakfast.

• June 7, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Hi Karen…thank you for sharing the typical American breakfast! You know…who has time in the morning to make bacon and eggs before going to work? I sure don’t ;)… But when I think of American breakfast I think of pancakes…but that’s maybe more for a Sunday morning ;)

• June 7, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

You are right, pancakes and waffles are a treat for a Sunday breakfast. :)

Tell me what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,613 other followers