…in The Netherlands!!
I just came back from a lovely (short…but it’s always too short right?) trip to my home country The Netherlands. One day,while walking in Scheveningen (yes that place at the sea that foreigners can barely pronounce) on the boulevard I was thinking about good Italian spots in my home country. You might think that it should be easy to find places where you can “taste” the real Italy in The Netherlands but it’s not that simply at all… I’ve been living in Italy for over 6 years now and when I go back I never go to places where I can eat Italian food or get the Italy vibe as I already have that the rest of the year. I want to “taste” The Netherlands… But still, I think it could be of great help to know where you should go in The Netherlands without getting disappointed. Because there are too many places that say they serve Italian food/drinks or have something to do with Italy and they absolutely don’t.
So I made a list of the 10 best Italian spots when you visit The Netherlands or of course live there….
To make sure I absolutely have the best spots covered I asked help of a good friend Donatello Piras. He was born and raised in The Netherlands but his parents are both Italian. And I can assure you he knows where to go when it comes to Italian spots!!! So off we go:
- Angelo Betti – Rotterdam If you want to get a delicious pizza you must go to Angelo Betti. I truly think it’s the best pizza you can get in The Netherlands. I’ve been there myself plenty of times when I still lived there and the only reason that I haven’t been there during my stays is that I eat pizza every week here in Italy…oops!
Gelateria Pizzeria Angelo Betti
Schiekade 6A – 3032 AJ – Rotterdam
- Vino & Vetro – Den Haag This is a tip from Donatello. It’s the place where he gets his favorite wines: Roccolo Grassi Recioto Valpolicella 2005 (red wine from Veneto) and Martini Chardonnay Palladium 2010 (white wine from Sud Tirol – Alto Adige). I haven’t tried these wines but trust Donatello completely as he knows what he’s talking about!! You can also order online: www.vinovetro.nl
Vino & Vetro
Surinamestraat 27b – 2585 GH – Den Haag
- Il Mattarello – Amsterdam This is the place to be for fresh pasta! They make fresh ravioli with different fillings every day…doesn’t that sound like heaven to you too?? For me it does as ravioli is my favorite pasta type!!
Il Mattarello – pasta with pleasure
Westerstraat 77 – 1015 LW - Amsterdam
- LUX – Nijmegen Sometimes it hits you…you have enough of Hollywood films and you just want to get the Italy vibe via their films. In LUX Nijmegen they often show Italian films (Italian spoken, Dutch subtitles). At this very moment they show the fabulous film La Grande Bellezza.
Mariënburg 38-39 – 6511 PS – Nijmegen
+31-900-5894636 (premium-rate phone number)
- Kaldi – Den Haag My dad (also Italian as you all know) wanted my love to try a real espresso when we visited Den Haag last week. He wasn’t too sure to be honest as he already “complains” about bad espresso coffee in many bars here in Italy. But he did try and he rated it a 7 (on a scale from 1 to 10). I can assure you that means that he liked the coffee and therefore it sure deserves a places in this top 10!! But you must drink the (strong) ristretto otherwise the above doesn’t count…
Kaldi Den Haag
Haagsche Bluf 70 – 2511 CP – Den Haag
- Bonardi – Amsterdam Another way to get the Italy vibe is to read Italian books…stories about the Italian culture, dreaming away while reading about Italian landscapes and so on… In Amsterdam you will find the only Italian bookstore of the whole country!! Also for those who want to learn Italian, this is the place to be. I got here my Italian grammar book years ago…As the whole book is in Italian (so also explanations) you read and breathe the Italian language and that’s the best way to learn it! Oh and more, it’s the place to be to have a chat about Italian literature and culture and they also organize theme nights. It’s Italy all over the place!
Entrepotdok 26 – 1018 AD – Amsterdam
- Little Italy – Rotterdam A wonderful deli in the centre of Rotterdam where the delicious smell of Italy welcomes you!! You can find almost anything here: Italian wines, pasta, cut meats, freshly made Italian snacks and treats, etc. You name it, they got it! And what is better to choose all the necessary ingredients yourself and then let the cook in you do the rest…
Lombardkade 51A – 3011 ZD – Rotterdam
- La Sagra dell’Uva – Amsterdam What is a good Italian meal without a good Italian wine?? Slightly embarrassing! That’s why this list has two tips for excellent Italian wine in The Netherlands! It is another tip from Donatello but I trust him completely so I also give you his two favorite red wines in this shop: ‘Roccapesta’ Morellino di Scansano DOCG (2010 from Toscana) and Dolcetto d’Alba ‘Sant Anna’ (2010 from my region Piemonte). They also have an online shop: www.sagra.nl
La Sagra dell’Uva
Plantage Kerklaan 24HS – 1018 TB – Amsterdam
- Victor Russo – Leiden This is an all-in-one tip from Donatello when it comes to the Italian cuisine. It’s a restaurant that serves delightful Italian dishes. Or take-away if you prefer to enjoy their food at home. You can also sign up for cooking classes (that should be fun)!! And then later try out one of their recipes they have on their website. And they even have a webshop… Does it get any better?
Victor Russo’s Osteria
Vrouwensteeg 16 – 2311 EB – Leiden
- La Vita è Bella – Rotterdam Last but not least, Donatello gives this wonderful tip for some Italian deli and lots of panini! They also have catering options, tastings and they give possibility of cooking at your place!! All ingredients come directly from Italy from various regions and they even have my favorite red wine Travaglini Gattinara (see here my post about it) as well! The real Italy in my town Rotterdam!!! Life is good…
La Vita è Bella Catering
Oostzeedijk Beneden 229 – 3061 VT – Rotterdam
I hope you know where to go now when you are in The Netherlands and you want to eat, breathe and feel the real Italy!!
A special thanks to Donatello Piras for his amazing tips!! Grazie…